Joined: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Staten Island
|Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:22 pm Post subject: The Hospital Closing Commission is holding hearings
From Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 am to Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:59 am (included)
Now is the time to really mobilize on many fronts, here are some of them:
The Hospital Closing Commission is holding hearings all over the state, and has now come to New York City. Here is the schedule as known so far:
• Friday, February 17 - from 6 pm - 9 pm at the College of Staten Island Recital Hall, 2800 Victory Boulevard.
• Thursday, February 23 - from 9 am until 1 pm at Brooklyn Borough Hall located at 209 Joralemon Street.
• Thursday, February 23 from 5:30 pm until 8 Pm at Queens Borough Hall located at 120-55 Queens Boulevard.
Manhattan and the Bronx are now being arranged.
To arrange to testify, you must call Carla Cocca at 518-474-4674 from 9 am to 5 pm during the week – but one week before the hearing. You can also comment electronically to email@example.com . See the attached flyer prepared by Anthony Feliciano. Print it out and distribute it all over the place.
The notice asks for testimony to address the following (but don’t limit yourself):
• The misalignment between the supply of services and the needs of the community,
• Specific local changes regarding regional nursing home and hospital bed supply in order to better align the supply of services with local needs.
• Necessary investments to carry out such alignments.
• Timeline in which the aforementioned steps should be take.
As you prepare your testimony – please call if we can help. It would be great for people to say that they agree with the Save Our Safety Net - Campaign principles which include: the need for community health planning; the need to look at access to care for the uninsured and underinsured, the disabled and the elderly, the need to factor in the current racial and ethnic disparities in access to and outcomes of health care services. We are also urging transparency and public accountability in the operation of the “Hospital Closing Commission.” Also think about telling your story or the story of your friends, family or neighbors. Are you having problems getting access to health care services? Did you have to wait a long time in the Emergency Room for a hospital bed because the hospital is crowded? And more!
Please also mention and think about strongly supporting the newly introduced Senate Bill S.6591 which would ensure many of the SOS-C Principles and more. The prime sponsor of this critical bill is Senator David Paterson and there are twenty other Senate sponsors. Please call or email me for a copy of the bill summary. Unfortunately, the Assembly bill has not yet been introduced, so call you Assemblyperson and ask them to become a sponsor and make sure that the bill is introduced.
Commission on the Public’s Health System
645 Tenth Avenue
New York, New York 10036
P.S. Go on the Commission on the Public’s Health System’s web site and keep checking the calendar for more information – www.cphsnyc.org .