Joined: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Staten Island
|Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:32 pm Post subject: First Federal Money for 9/11 Health Treatment Announced
From Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:00 am to Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:59 am (included)
|For Immediate Release
March 8, 2006 Contact: Craig Donner (Fossella)
Clinton Press Office
Israel Klein (Schumer)
Afshin Mohamadi (Maloney)
First Federal Money for
9/11 Health Treatment Announced
New Federal Plan to Distribute $75 Million for 9/11 Injured Responders
Rep. Fossella, Senators Clinton and Schumer and Rep. Maloney react
WASHINGTON, DC - The Centers for Disease Control's plan to distribute $75 million for sick and injured 9/11 responders has been unveiled. Among the funds is the first-ever federal money spent on medical treatment for 9/11 health effects. The money is part of the $125 million that the New York Congressional delegation fought hard to save after the administration announced plans to rescind the money last year.
The $75 million will be distributed as follows:
Medical treatment programs:
World Trade Center Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program - $26,825,000
FDNY WTC Medical Screening and Treatment Program - $26,825,000
Screening Programs (administered by WTC and FDNY programs) - $7,850,000
Project COPE (mental health program for NYPD) - $3,000,000
POPPA (Police Organization Providing Peer Assistance) - $1,500,000
The World Trade Center Health Registry - $9,000,000
Total - $75,000,000
Rep. Vito Fossella (R-NY), Senators Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) helped lead the effort to save the 9/11 responder funds and to ensure that the money is spent on medical monitoring and treatment. Today, they reacted to the distribution plan announced by the Centers for Disease Control of $75 million appropriated for programs that administer baseline and follow-up screening, clinical examinations, or long-term medical health monitoring, analysis or treatment for emergency services personnel or rescue and recovery personnel. This funding was part of $125 million that the Bush Administration rescinded in last year's budget. The remaining $50 million was distributed to the New York State Uninsured Employers Fund for reimbursement of claims related to the September 11, 2001 attacks.
"Today, the promise of providing needed medical treatment to 9-11's heroes becomes a reality," said Fossella. "For the first time ever, those suffering from illnesses due to their courageous rescue and recovery efforts will be able to receive the medical care they need. With the recent appointment of Dr. John Howard as the federal government's 9-11 health coordinator, this is hopefully only the first step in a comprehensive federal response to the World Trade Center health crisis."
"Restoring this funding was one of the most important things we could do for those who sacrificed everything to help others on September 11, 2001," Senator Clinton said. "I am grateful to my colleagues in the New York delegation and all our partners in New York who worked tirelessly to restore the $125 million that was eliminated in the President's budget. The CDC's announcement that this funding will be distributed for continued medical and mental health needs is a critical reminder that we must not abandon those who stood at Ground Zero in our time of need."
"This is a great first step toward getting the money out the door to the heroes of 9/11, who without regard to their own safety or health, worked tirelessly to recover victims from the WTC site," said Senator Schumer. "We will continue to monitor the progress of this critical funding and make sure that it is used appropriately and efficiently."
"This victory is a testament to everyone who fought to secure this funding for continued monitoring and treatment, despite resistance," said Maloney. "From the first responders who drove to Washington to tell their stories, to the unions who organized their members, this would not have been possible without them. Four and a half years is far too long to wait for progress on 9/11 health response, but we are finally getting somewhere."
The $125 million for 9/11 responders was part of the $20 billion in federal aid that New York City received in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks, but was eliminated in President Bush's FY 2006 budget proposal. In November 2005, the New York delegation secured the commitment of House Speaker Dennis Hastert to include the $125 million in the House's Emergency Appropriations measure to fund the recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. This emergency spending measure was attached to the Defense Appropriations bill that passed the House in December.