Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue May 23
Wed May 24
Thu May 25
Fri May 26
Sat May 27
Sun May 28
Mon May 29
GRAFFITI REMOVAL UPDATE 3/1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Changing the Face of Staten Island Graffiti Removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: GRAFFITI REMOVAL UPDATE 3/1
From Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:00 am to Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am (included)

To All,

We had a very successful press conference with Senator Lanza, Assemblyman Cusick, Councilman Oddo, Public Administrator Gotlin, members of the NYPD and Eddie Finn (one of our best volunteers from St. Peters).

We discussed the Changing the Face of Staten Island” graffiti program and everyone committed to making it work. (See links below). I would like to personally thank NY1News (Mara and Miranda and Alicia) NY1News and the Staten Island Advance (Doug Auer) for continuing to help us get the word out.

Local Officials Launch New Program To Combat Graffiti

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?&aid=79014&search_result=1&stid=242

Graffiti fight gets a boost on Staten Island

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/graffiti_fight_gets_a_boost_on.html

Letters detailing the program will be sent to all of our local schools this week. We will also ask to meet with all 3 Community Boards, the Staten Island Chamber and the SIEDC to discuss implementing the program as well as getting them to help spread the word.

St. Peters and Monsignor Farrell High Schools have already expressed interest in the Adopt a Block Program to create graffiti free zones around their schools.

We are hoping that other schools and groups will follow.

Judges from the Richmond County Criminal Court will be sending their defendants to Where to Turn to work off their hours as they know we will require them to do clean ups and help correct some of the damage they have done.

I have sent grant requests to Lowes, Home Depot, the Staten Island Bank Foundation, the Richmond County Bank Foundation and the Northfield Bank Foundation to ask for support for supplies and help cover production costs of the PSA’s and our school presentation..

I have 10 cases of the non toxic remover and since the company does not have a distributer we will be distributing the product if anyone is interested.

We had cancelled the clean up of Boulder Creek due to the weather forecast but it wasn’t that bad so I went over with my power washer and got a head start on the cleanup. We will reschedule next week and start putting together a weekly schedule with the NYPD.

Assemblyman Cusick was driving by from his office and stopped by. He again stated his commitment to the program as have most of our elected officials and he wants to personally take part in one of our future cleanups.

I spoke with DA Dan Donovan last night and he is ready to do the first PSA and wants everyone to know that his office will continue to prosecute these offenders to the fullest extent possible.

So “Tag You’re It”

We need your help and everyone can.

Become a “Graffiti Spotter”

Adopt a Block

Volunteer for a clean up

Get us waivers

Keep a close eye on the activities of your children and look for the tell tale signs.

Sign your business up for the Great Grate Project.

Volunteer for our school presentation committee

Or

Make a tax deductible contribution

For details on all aspects of this program including waiver and parental consent forms go to

http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41744

If you have any questions give me a call at 718-966-6531 or dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn,org

Together we can get this done and “Change the Face of Staten Island”

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Changing the Face of Staten Island Graffiti Removal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: