Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed May 24
Thu May 25
Fri May 26
Sat May 27
Sun May 28
Mon May 29
Tue May 30
Snow Shoveling Update 1/12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Snow Shoveling for Seniors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Snow Shoveling Update 1/12 Reply with quote

Nearly 600 volunteers were out this weekend shoveling for their seniors.

Good news is I got many more calls from seniors thanking us for the service than complaints about kids not showing up.

Bad news is that as you know I got at least 200 calls over the past few days from seniors who do not have an assigned shoveler.

If any of you have any contacts or influence with our local schools please try to get us some more volunteers.

Students can still receive the full 10 hours credit if they register before the end of the month.

Finally in the category no good deed goes unpunished:

I got a call from a woman complaining that her senior did not have a volunteer.

When I asked if it was her parent she stated no but that the senior lived with her and her daughter.

When I explained that we assign students to the closest senior she stated that it was not fair and that her “senior” should have priority as her daughter had shoveled for another senior in the past.

She went on to tell me that I didn’t know what I was doing and that the program wasn’t working because if it was her senior would have a shoveler.

I didn’t want to get into an argument but

A) The program is really for seniors who live alone and have no on to shovel for them

B) I do not understand why she or her daughter couldn’t shovel

C) Although we would love to shovel for everyone we cannot begin to play favorites

I really felt like saying if you think you could do a better job go right ahead but I bit my tongue.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Talk to you soon and please get me some more volunteers

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Snow Shoveling for Seniors All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: