Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
Allegretti Letter to Rep. McMahon: PASS 9/11 ZADROGA BILL...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Allegretti Letter to Rep. McMahon: PASS 9/11 ZADROGA BILL...
From Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 am to Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:59 am (included)

Marco DeSena

(718) 288-0541

ALLEGRETTI CALLS ON REP. MCMAHON, DEMOCRATIC LEADERSHIP TO PASS 9/11 ZADROGA BILL...THE NORMAL WAY

Other Major Democratic Legislation Passed by Simple Majority Vote

If It's Good Enough for Financial Regulation and Stimulus Bills, Should Be Good Enough for Our 9/11 Heroes

Staten Island - July 30, 2010 - Michael Allegretti, the Republican candidate for Congress in the 13th district covering Staten Island and Brooklyn, implored his opponent Rep. Michael McMahon to call on his Democratic leadership and colleagues in the House of Representatives to use the regular procedure for a simple majority vote to pass HR 847, the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act (see Allegretti's letter to Rep. McMahon below, attached).

Mr. Allegretti stated: "This issue is complex only because politicians in Washington made it so. There is the usual way of passing legislation--by a simple majority--which the Democrats have used for their other legislative priorities, including the stimulus, health care and financial regulation laws. Then there is this other process--a tougher, convoluted one that requires two-thirds total support--that Speaker Pelosi and the Democratic leadership chose for this hugely important bill that provides care for our 9/11 first responders."

Rep. Peter King of Long Island and Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York City, Republican and Democrat, respectively, are original sponsors of the bill--and both support the simple majority process. They have expressed their desire to see the bill put up for a vote again in September through regular procedure. NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has also expressed his support of another vote, this time by simple majority.

Continued Allegretti: "There has been no clear explanation for why this difficult voting route was taken, other than a purely political fear by vulnerable Democrats that they would have to take a public stand on a possible Republican-led amendment to the bill that would ban illegal immigrants as recipients of the federal program. That is disgraceful, utter nonsense. So what if a member of Congress has to take a tough vote? It's called democracy, and it's called doing what's right, even if it takes you off the yellow-brick road to re-election. Let's have every member from every party on the record whether they support those who helped America when she needed it most. Mr. McMahon, take a stand."

Mr. Allegretti responded to an original letter by Rep. McMahon from July 27, 2010 on this issue; that letter and release is also attached.

###

LETTER FROM MICHAEL ALLEGRETTI TO REP. MICHAEL McMAHON

July 30, 2010

Rep. Michael McMahon

Staten Island District Office

265 New Dorp Lane, 2nd Floor

Staten Island, NY 10306

Fax: (718) 980-0768

Dear Rep. McMahon:

I am writing to respectfully urge you to put partisan politics aside and join me in calling upon your Democratic leaders in the US House of Representatives—and party colleagues, like Rep. Anthony Weiner--to stop playing politics with the lives of our New York City's heroes and finally bring the Zadroga 9/11 Health & Compensation Act up for a simple majority vote under the regular procedures for the House.

As you are aware, I accepted your call to support this bill and to urge House Republicans to vote in favor, which I did enthusiastically.

I am shocked that your Democratic leadership, led by Nancy Pelosi, chose to protect vulnerable Democrats during this election year rather than allow for simple and easy passage of this bill. I stand in lockstep with Republican Rep. Peter King, an original sponsor and steadfast supporter, who called the more complex voting procedure employed for this bill "a cruel hoax."

Let's be crystal clear: The Democrats control the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. Your party has made it obvious that they don't need Republican input or support to pass bills, as they have forced other major legislation through both houses of Congress many times. What is also clear is that so many Republicans with short-term memories--those who have forgotten that it was America that was attacked on September 11th, not just New York City--decided to vote against this bill.

There is no shortage of shame on either side. I am disappointed with members of my party for voting against this bill. You should be even more outraged at your leadership who, holding the fate of this bill in their hands, ultimately decided that politics trumped patriotism.

Congress can still do this. I am supporting Congressman King and your fellow Democrat Rep. Carolyn Maloney in proposing that the House take up the bill again in early September--but this time with the simple-majority vote process, as it would pass with ease. I implore you to not only stand with us, but also to do what's right and immediately call upon your Democratic leadership to do the same.

Sincerely,

Michael Allegretti
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Press Releases All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: