Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sat Mar 25
Prom Dress Giveaway ...
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
Fri Mar 31
NYC Special Initiative for Rebuilding & Resiliency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: NYC Special Initiative for Rebuilding & Resiliency
From Mar 14, 2013 to Mar 15, 2013 (included)

Roe Vasquenz and I attended this ”workshop” last night at New Dorp High School. During the presentation of showing ways that other beach front communities (all over the world really) are now protecting themselves from storms like Sandy, I couldn't stop thinking that most of what they were showing would just cost way too much money for any of our gov’t branches to actually consider them. There were a few that might be feasible tho.

Each table had a “facilitator” assigned to them and after hearing a few speakers, each table was assigned to discuss the weaknesses in our community that caused us to be flooded so bad (boy, were we on a roll on that one!). Then we were asked to list our community's strengths and I have to tell you the first on that list was our community residents. It was Midland Beach people helping each other. It took days for anyone else to get into the community to start helping, so we did it ourselves! We are a great community! (just wanted to say that).

After that, the facilitators were brought up front to read the thoughts/lists from their tables.

Aiman Youssef of Midland Ave Neighborhood Relief was not a facilitator but he got up and said out loud what most of us were thinking. While thinking far ahead in the future, and asking the community for their input is a nice thought, NO ONE can think about a “future” when the present is still turned upside down! So many are still not able to return to their homes, are fighting with their insurance companies or FEMA, etc. Bravo Aiman! Unfortunately, I think it fell on deaf ears because that is not what those speakers were there for, so it really didn’t fit their “criteria” for the evening.

Midland Beach will continue to seek answers and help..................

Debi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: