Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Apr 26
Thu Apr 27
Fri Apr 28
Sat Apr 29
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Tue May 02
NYC Housing Recovery Forum Update From Midland Beach Civic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: NYC Housing Recovery Forum Update From Midland Beach Civic
From Mar 17, 2013 to Mar 21, 2013 (included)

I went to this forum yesterday to see what information I could gather. I agree with Councilman Oddo that it was really well organized. There were different “specialty” groups, and each group had at least 6 or 7 people to assist you, one on one. The only “specialty” group I found totally lacking was the “buyout” information table....there they only had 2 people. That, of course, was the longest line. But they really didn’t have much information at all so maybe they felt each person wouldn’t take long at that table.

I won’t go into the table by table details (my fingers would get too darn tired), but some of the information I did find out was:

Buyouts: Oakwood Beach is the first and only definite (at this time) area. They are using Oakwood Beach as their “pilot program”. They feel that this will show them what will work and what won’t. When that is complete, they are then going to decide what other areas will be approved for buyouts and make it public.
I was told “nothing is set in stone” yet and we just have to be patient.
I understand that anything the government does, it does at a snails pace, but my heart simply breaks for those who cannot go home because of the damage, or simply because their home isn’t there anymore.

Raising your home: Homeowners who had 50% or more (of their home’s value) damaged, will be required to raise their home. There will be some grants to assist with this. Again, that governmental snails pace means it’s slowly coming. I do know you will need a certificate of elevation and we will discuss that when things get rolling. Also, many contractors are not out there to help you, they are out there to rip you off and the city is actually trying to avoid that pain for the homeowners. Katrina has shown them what rip off contractors can do.

Homeowners who did not have 50% or more won’t be required to raise their homes, but if you don’t comply with the new “codes” when they come out, you will be paying a high premium for flood insurance. Note: they are saying (depending on how many feet you are short of compliance) you could end up paying $10,000 or more per year, but keep in mind that is based on a $250,000 insurance policy. I am afraid many lenders may require homeowners to carry $250,000 even if they don’t owe that much, but I really hope our elected officials step in to rectify that!

Dept. of Buildings: If you decide to raise your home, some of the permit apps, etc. will be waived if you just follow the same footprints. In my case, I asked about adding a room in the back to house my furnace, hot water heater, and washer & dryer (my unrealistic dream) and I was then told that would be considered “new” construction and would have to go through all the “normal” headaches to do so.

AIA: Architects Association- We discussed some options for homeowners to raise their homes and the possible cost. They were really open, but said to please keep in mind they are just “guess-timating”. For instance: if you are a semi-attached, both would have to agree to go up. This would cost anywhere from approximately around $60,000 to $80,000. The additional stairs would be basically included if they can be “continued” from your existing ones. If they can’t be continued, it would be an extra cost. The electricity and heating, etc. would all be extra too. Needless to say, I left that table feeling quite depressed and defeated.

That’s about it in a nutshell. I did see other community members there and I really hope they got some answers to their questions.

I have to also add that if you were walking around looking a little overwhelmed and lost, someone from FEMA found their way to you and helped you along. No, I didn’t get lost or overwhelmed and need help............ok, well, maybe a little, but it was only because the group I was looking for didn’t have a sign big enough..........no, really!

Debi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: