Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
Mold Parade to HELP Fairs: Moving together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Mold Parade to HELP Fairs: Moving together
From Mar 17, 2013 to Mar 22, 2013 (included)

Many, many thanks to hundreds of volunteers, here in Staten Island and across the city who collaborative on the most massive canvassing project on Hurricane Sandy to take place. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Karen, Goldi and the whole Needs Assessment committee, the Beacon School and their volunteers and the volunteers of Occupy Sandy and many other organizations who made this canvassing such a great success! I hope you all slept in this weekend!

A big shout out to the LTRG member groups who staffed the DRC on Saturday for our FEMA HELP Day! It was hopping with 149 families coming through the doors for help! Our attorneys , Single
Stop staff and Catholic Charities did not have a moment to breathe! Other organizations who joined us included Northfield LDC, Legal Services of Staten Island, Make the Road, Guyon Rescue, NYC Mold Remediation Project, Jewish Board, Project Hospitality and about 5 key government agencies.

We are doing this again on Thursday the 21st from 10 AM – 6 PM at the DRC 1976 Hylan Blvd.

Next Saturday we have been invited to join the Operation HOPE, Borough President’s Financial Assistance Fair at New Dorp High School, 10 AM – 2 PM on Saturday March 23rd. Folks that want to set up tables there, please do email us back ( to Karen) and we can assemble a list to be sure we have tables.

I am asking, please that a core of attorneys, Catholic Charities, Red Cross, Project Hospitality and Salvation Army teams stay back at the DRC on Saturday to help provide mediation of FEMA cases that need assistance, support and intervention.

I know this stretches us thin ---but that is why there are so many of us.

WE DID HAVE AN ADVOCACY ISSUE THAT I AM KICKING OVER TO MEG’S COMMITTEE: WE LEARNED YESTERDAY FROM FEMA THAT THE CLOSE OUT DATE FOR REGISTRATION MEANS THAT ALL THE FEMA WORKERS WILL GO HOME AND ANY INTERACTINO WITH FEMA WILL BE BY THE 800 NUMBER . THIS FACE TO FACE CONTACT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR SO MANY FAMLIES. ESPECIALLY THE ONES WHO ARE NOT FLUENT IN ENGLISH. WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT A STRATEGY FOR SOME FEMA WORKERS TO STAY WITH US, AT LEAST TO THE END OF JUNE.

YESTERDAY IN THE DRC, I MET WITH A FAMILY WHO THOUGHT THEY HAD BEEN DENIED A LOAN FOR ONE REASON, AND THE SITUATION, WHEN WE SAT TOGETHER WITH SBA WAS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I ALSO ENCOUNTERED A FAMILY WHO THOUGHT THAT SBA WAS A PRIVATE BANK “THE SBA BANK.” ANOTHER TOTAL LANGUAGE-BASED MISUNDERSTANDING. IF COALITION MEMBERS WERE NOT THERE TO HELP INTERVENE, I DON’T KNOW HOW THOSE FAMLIES WOULD HAVE HAD THEIR ISSUES RESOLVED.

Again, many thanks for your hard work always ---but especially this week with the survey and HELP day.

Looking forward to meeting Wednesday at Noon at the Unitarian Church!

Take Care,

Terry Troia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> SANDY SUPPORT INFORMATION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: